Arka D. Chatterjee
Los Angeles Office
Arka Chatterjee is an associate at Russ August & Kabat where he is a member of the firm’s litigation and intellectual property departments. Mr. Chatterjee’s practice focuses on patent litigation in a wide range of technologies. He has litigated disputes involving DNA sequencing, bioinformatics, geophysics, seismology, semiconductors, network engineering, and software. Complementing his patent litigation expertise, Mr. Chatterjee has also handled copyright and trademark matters for clients in the entertainment and garment industries, and antitrust matters for clients in the LCD fabrication industry.
Representative matters for Mr. Chatterjee include:
- Illumina, Inc. v. Ariosa Diagnostics (N.D. Cal.). Represented Defendant in patent infringement action wherein several of plaintiff’s patents were invalidated.
- WesternGeco LLC v. Petroleum Geo-Services, Inc., et al. (S.D. Tex). Represented Defendants in patent infringement action involving infringement counterclaims. Successfully obtained early dismissal of some defendants on jurisdictional grounds, and ultimately invalidated plaintiff’s asserted patent claims.
- Active Video Networks, Inc. v. Verizon, Inc. (E.D. Va.). Represented Defendant in patent infringement trial.
- Enhanced Security Research LLC v. Cisco Systems (D. Del.) Represented Defendant in successfully invalidating patents asserted against it in an infringement action.
- ON Semiconductor, Inc. v. Elpida, Inc. (E.D. Tex.). Represented Defendant in a patent infringement action involving patent infringement counterclaims. The case ended in a settlement favorable to Defendant.
- In re TFT-LCD Antitrust Litigation (N.D. Cal.). Represented one of several defendant LCD manufacturers, litigating multiple antitrust actions in a federal MDL and in several state courts.
- NVIDIA Corp. v. Intel Corporation – (Del. Ch.) Represented Intel in a patent licensing dispute against competitor and cross-licensee NVIDIA that resulted in a favorable settlement.
- Michel v. Tyler (L.A. Sup. Ct.) – Represented documentary filmmaker in a suit for recovery of personal property brought by Pras Michel, a Grammy Award-winning musician and producer. The case concerned copyright infringement issues, and ultimately resulted in an amicable settlement.
- Ben Hattenbach & Arka Chatterjee, IP Law for Businesses: Protecting Yourself and Your Company: Obtaining Valuable Patents – Whether Through Application or Acquisition, the Same Principles Apply, ExecSense eBooks 2013.
- David I. Gindler & Arka Chatterjee, Ethics in Patent Litigation, AIPLA Proceedings, May 2013.
- Tad Crawford & Arka Chatterjee, Copyright and the Internet, Communication Arts, Mar.-Apr. 2010 at 30.
- S. Cruz-Lio, J. Johnson, Arka Chatterjee, et al., Disruption of Golgi Processing by 2-Phenyl Benzimidazole Analogs Blocks Cell Proliferation and Slows Tumor Growth, 61 Cancer Chemotherapy & Pharmacology 1045 (Aug. 2007).
- W.Y. Jiang, Arka Chatterjee, S.P. Raychauduri, et al., Mast Cell Density and IL-8 Expression in Non-lesional and Lesional Psoriatic Skin, 40 Int. J. of Dermatology 699 (Nov. 2001).
Prior to joining Russ August & Kabat, Mr. Chatterjee was an associate at the law firms of Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, and Irell & Manella LLP. Before attending law school, he worked as a researcher in the life sciences, exploring the etiology of and treatments for various inflammatory diseases and cancer.