Irene Lee is a partner at Russ August & Kabat, where she focuses her practice on all aspects of intellectual property, including patent, trademark, copyright, right of publicity, and technology licensing.
In 2015 and 2016, Irene was featured in WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals and selected by peers and clients in Managing Intellectual Property’s Top 500 IP Stars and Top 250 Women in IP. Irene was recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer in 2013-2016, as one of Southern California Top 50 Women in 2016, and as a Southern California Rising Star in 2009-2012.
As a registered patent attorney, Irene employs her patent prosecution experience in strategizing patent litigation and licensing issues. Irene represents clients in a wide range of industries, including biotechnology, medical devices, computer software, video game system, housewares, baby products, food and beverages, and apparel.
In addition to patent litigation and licensing, Irene has extensive experience in trademark prosecution, litigation and licensing with an emphasis on global brand expansion and management through strategic trademark and copyright protection and enforcement programs.
Irene’s Representative Matters include:
- Ronica Holdings Ltd. (deadmau5) v. West Coast Vape Supply, Inc. – represents deadmau5 in a trademark infringement action in the Central District of California.
- VIA Technologies, Inc. v. ASUSTek Computer Inc. – represents VIA Technologies in a patent infringement and misappropriation of trade secrets action in the Northern District of California.
- Google Inc. v. VIA Technologies, Inc. – represents VIA Technologies in trademark cancellation proceedings before the TTAB.
- The Honest Company, Inc. v. Cosmedicine, LLC – represented The Honest Co. in a trademark action in the Central District of California.
- Disney Enterprises, Inc. v. Ronica Holdings Ltd. (deadmau5) – represented deadmau5 in a trademark opposition proceeding before the TTAB.
- Honest Tea, Inc. v. The Honest Company, Inc. – represented The Honest Co. in trademark opposition proceedings before the TTAB.
- LegalZoom.com, Inc. v. Brenwell Media, LLC – represented LegalZoom in a trademark infringement action in the Central District of California, obtaining a consent judgment for LegalZoom.
- Western Digital Technologies, Inc. v. GoHardDrive, Inc. – represented Western Digital Technologies in a counterfeit and trademark infringement action in the Central District of California.
- travisMathew, LLC v. Leisure Society Unlimited, LLC, et al. – represented travisMathew in a trademark infringement action in the Central District of California, obtaining a preliminary injunction for travisMathew.
- Java Equities, LLC v. Newheart Limited Partnership – obtained a complete and total defense decision for Newheart in a 3-year arbitration on breach of contract and fraud, including award of attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Absolute Software, Inc. v. Stealth Signal, Inc. – represented Absolute Software in a 7.5-year patent infringement action in the Southern District of Texas involving a number of patents for asset tracking and management software, resulting in a judgment of over $5M in favor of Absolute Software.
- Minerva Industries, Inc. v. Motorola, et al. – represented Minerva Industries in a series of patent infringement actions against phone manufacturers in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Development Innovation Group (DIG), LLC v. Nokia Inc., et al. – represented DIG in a patent infringement action against phone manufactures in the Southern District of California.
- Bosco Dev., Ltd., dba Avant Browser Labs v. Liveuniverse, Inc. – represented Bosco in a commercial dispute involving the transfer of know-how and invention rights in a downloadable web browser application, resulting in a substantial settlement for Bosco.
- Dial Indus., Inc. v. Lipper Int’l, Inc. – successfully defended Lipper International against patent infringement claims on summary judgment motion in the Central District of California.
- Counseled Sanwa Kagaku Kenkyusho Co. Ltd. on joint R&D arrangements for patented methods of cultivating and isolating embryonic cell populations.
- Counseled Beckman Coulter, Inc. on license agreements for patented fecal occult blood test products involving multiple parties, including SmithKline Diagnostics, Inc., Binax, Inc., and Inverness Medical Innovations, Inc.
- Counseled Alaris Med. Sys., Inc. on strategic alliance agreements with McKesson Automation, Inc., involving patented methods of collecting and managing real-time patient data.
Irene currently serves as an adjunct professor at USC Law School.
Prior to joining Russ August & Kabat in 2005, Irene was with McDermott Will & Emery LLP, where she was a member of its Intellectual Property, Media & Technology Department.
Irene is fluent in Korean.