Irene Lee is a partner at Russ August & Kabat, where she focuses her practice on all aspects of intellectual property, including patent, trademark, copyright, right of publicity, and technology licensing.
Irene has been featured in WTR 1000 – The World’s Leading Trademark Professionals and selected by peers and clients inManaging Intellectual Property’s Top 500 IP Stars and Top 250 Women in IP. Irene was recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer in 2013-2017, as one of Southern California Top 50 Women in 2016 and 2017 and one of Southern California Top 100 Lawyers in 2017.
As a registered patent attorney, Irene employs her patent prosecution experience in strategizing patent litigation and licensing issues. Irene represents clients in a wide range of industries, including biotechnology, medical devices, computer software, video game systems, housewares, baby products, food and beverages, and apparel.
In addition to patent litigation and licensing, Irene has extensive experience in trademark prosecution, litigation and licensing with an emphasis on global brand expansion and management through strategic trademark and copyright protection and enforcement programs.
Irene’s representative matters include:
- VIA Technologies, Inc. v. ASUSTek Computer Inc. – represents VIA Technologies in a patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation action in the NDCA.
- Meowingtons, LLC v. Zimmerman (deadmau5) – represents deadmau5 in a trademark infringement action in the SDFL.
- Google Inc. v. VIA Technologies, Inc. – represented VIA Technologies in trademark proceedings before the TTAB.
- The Honest Company, Inc. v. Cosmedicine, LLC – represented The Honest Co. in a trademark action in the CDCA.
- Ronica Holdings Ltd. (deadmau5) v. West Coast Vape Supply, Inc.– represented deadmau5 in a trademark action in the CDCA.
- Disney Enterprises, Inc. v. Ronica Holdings Ltd. (deadmau5) – represented deadmau5 in a trademark proceeding before the TTAB.
- Honest Tea, Inc. v. The Honest Company, Inc. – representedThe Honest Co. in trademark proceedings before the TTAB.
- LegalZoom.com, Inc. v. Brenwell Media, LLC – represented LegalZoom in a trademark action in the CDCA, obtaining a consent judgment for LegalZoom.
- Western Digital Technologies, Inc. v. GoHardDrive, Inc. – represented Western Digital Technologies in a counterfeit and trademark infringement action in the CDCA.
- travisMathew, LLC v. Leisure Society Unlimited, LLC, et al. – represented travisMathew in a trademark action in the CDCA, obtaining a preliminary injunction for travisMathew.
- Java Equities, LLC v. Newheart Limited Partnership – obtained a complete and total defense decision for Newheart in a 3-year arbitration on breach of contract and fraud, including award of attorneys’ fees.
- Absolute Software, Inc. v. Stealth Signal, Inc. – represented Absolute Software in a 7.5-year patent infringement action in the SDTX, resulting in a judgment of over $5M in favor of Absolute Software.
- Minerva Industries, Inc. v. Motorola, et al. – represented Minerva Industries in a series of patent infringement actions against phone manufacturers in the EDTX.
- Development Innovation Group (DIG), LLC v. Nokia Inc.,et al. – represented DIG in a patent infringement action against phone manufactures in the SDCA.
- Bosco Dev., Ltd., dba Avant Browser Labs v. Liveuniverse, Inc. – represented Bosco in a commercial dispute involving the transfer of know-how and invention rights in a downloadable web browser application, resulting in a substantial settlement for Bosco.
- Dial Indus., Inc. v. Lipper Int’l, Inc. – successfully defended Lipper International against patent infringement claims on summary judgment motion in the CDCA.
Prior to joining Russ August & Kabat in 2005, Irene was with McDermott Will & Emery LLP, where she was a member of its Intellectual Property, Media & Technology Department.
Irene is fluent in Korean.