REZA MIRZAIE is a partner at Russ August & Kabat. Reza’s practice focuses on various areas of intellectual property litigation, including patent, trademark, and trade secret litigation. Reza has litigated patent and trade secret disputes involving a variety of technologies, including computer software, hardware, digital signal processing, and elevator dispatch systems.
Reza is a registered patent attorney licensed to practice before the United States Patent & Trademark Office. Complementing his litigation expertise, he has worked on numerous prosecution and post-grant matters before the USPTO.
Reza has been recognized numerous times as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers Magazine. From 2015-2017, Reza was recognized as a Southern California Top 100 Rising Star. In 2017, Reza was recognized as a Southern California Top 100 Rising Star. Moreover, widely read journals, blogs, and other legal publications have published Reza’s various articles on cutting-edge IP issues.
Reza is an accomplished litigation attorney with significant trial experience. Included among his representative matters are:
- Core Wireless Licensing S.A.R.L. v. LG Electronics (E.D. Tex.). Trial counsel to Core Wireless in two matters against LG with respect to fundamental telecommunications and graphical user interface patents. Obtained verdict of willful infringement and running royalties of 6 cents per unit with respect to U.S. Patents 7,804,850 and 6,633,536.
- Inventio AG v. Otis Elevator Co. (S.D.N.Y.). Represented Plaintiff Inventio in a patent infringement lawsuit involving destination dispatch elevator systems. Obtained jury verdict that Otis infringed all asserted claims and that all infringed claims were valid.
- In the Matter of Certain Notebook and Components Thereof (I.T.C.). Represented Complainant Toshiba Corporation in a patent infringement investigation involving notebook computer products. Just before trial and after defeating each summary judgment motion brought by Wistron, the case settled with Wistron paying for a license under Toshiba’s patents.
- iRise v. Axure Software Solutions, Inc. (C.D. Cal.). Represented Plaintiff iRise in a patent infringement lawsuit involving prototyping products for software visualization. Obtained summary judgment that Axure infringed asserted claims and successfully defended against summary judgment of invalidity and non-infringement.
- CSIRO v. Toshiba, et al. (E.D. Tex). Represented Defendant Toshiba America Information Systems in a patent infringement lawsuit involving IEEE 802.11 wireless products. Obtained favorable settlement from Plaintiff during jury trial.
Prior to joining Russ August & Kabat, Reza was a partner at Knobbe Martens LLP.